Neil Joseph Schelly wrote:

 I've heard Steve Gibson's name several times over the years. He's a
 self-proclaimed Windows security expert mostly. He takes time to
 analyze things very closely and has web pages that he's designed to
 show you various potential security problems you can easily repair in
 Windows and some of the misinformation out there he tries to clear
 up.

 That said, while his intentions are good and I'm sure his information
 helps a lot of people, I get the impression sometimes that he's a bit
 of a marketing fiend and probably has a more theoretical background
 in security rather than one from experience. He speaks over the
 heads of many people, but does it so smoothly that it's interpreted
 as "just being that good" - kinda like the .cc snafu you caught.

Steve's main claim to fame, in my mind, is his program, SpinRite. It would refresh a hard drive's format and often extend its life considerably. This was back in the MFM days. I do use some of his little security patches, such as UnPnP, etc. He is a bit over-the-top sometimes and I don't think the things he's most concerned about are as critical as he thinks. I do trust his software (again, mainly from SpinRite). I did speak to him a couple (or more) years back and found him very helpful. He seems to do his analysis thoroughly.

--
Dan Jenkins ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Rastech Inc., Bedford, NH, USA --- 1-603-206-9951