Jon maddog Hall wrote:

> So the next Red Hat default desktop was "FVWM95".

You know... FVWM95 is a pretty good approximation of M$Windo$e....

>The difference between windows users and unix users is that unix users change
>their environment to be what they want....because they can and they know how
>(or will find out).

I had a roommate not too long ago who was quite intelligent but not by
any stretch, a computer guru.  We had some long discussions about
computers though, because I could use her as a guinea pig for usability
testing.  Not being an expert, she was the perfect test to see if the
general public would take to something new.

And you know what?

She did not want to have a choice.  Whenever I asked something like,
"Which of these XYZ's do you think you'd like to use?" her answer was
always "I don't want to choose anything.  Just give me something that works"

Now this mentality was completely foreign to me.  I thoroughly enjoy my
choices... and so I have my preferences, but know that others will have
different preferences.  Whether it be E vs KDE vs Gnome or vi vs
emacs... *we* like our choices and *we* like one over another.  But in
the long run, when it comes to advocacy, we need to set defaults and
stand behind them when preaching to the masses.

Long time Linux users and other computer tinkerers and experts will know
how to change the defaults, and I think it should be pretty easy to do.
Getting new users on board though, we need to fix a standard set of
defaults.  We need to standardise across distros as much as we can, so a
new user can see a disk marked "Linux" and not be shocked by yet another
foreign environment or worse... a myriad of choices the user cares
nothing about.

I think a lot of distros have come close with KDE, and that's a great
thing.  The KDE folks have come a LONG way to making a one-stop-shop for
your desktop needs.  Gnome had the head start but it was too focused
on...  choices.  Great for geeks... not for the common user.

I no longer show my friends all the nifty desktop choices we have.
When friends come over and ask to use a computer, I just fire it up into
a KDE session and maximize Mozilla.  When they're done checking their
Yahoo mail or LJ or whatever, I ask if they had any trouble using it.
They look at me strange... and then I let them know they just used Linux
and it obviously wasn't as difficult as they may have thought.

Brian