Joe Barr wrote an opinion piece over at Newsforge asking "Do LUGs still matter?"

http://software.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=05/12/23/193238

As most of you have probably figured out, I have a pretty strong opinion on the matter. Slashdot picked up on the piece,

http://linux.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/12/25/0433243&from=rss

And I was pleased to see one response from a recent attendee to CentraLUG in the comments at the end of the NewsForge piece.

I posted a response on my own blog at:

http://radio.weblogs.com/0117767/2005/12/26.html#a1816

And Joe himself responded with the comment, "What a great response to the story. Wish I saw more like this one."

If you know of activists in other LUGs (I know BLU is very active), please consider asking them to contact Joe and let him know that, while the Austin scene may be in a lull, LUGs worldwide are buzzing with activity. Perhaps we can get Joe to consider a followup article if we can supply him with enough examples.

Ted Roche
Ted Roche & Associates, LLC
http://www.tedroche.com