On 1/1/06, Steven W. Orr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> alias eth0 sk98lin
> alias eth1 forcedeth
>
> Can someone explain what this is?

  As you suppose, those are just two different Ethernet drivers.

  I was curious what "forcedeth" was, so I Googled it.  Turns out it's
the Ethernet controller build into the nVidia nForce chipset.  Which
is one possible explanation for the different drivers; to get a second
Ethernet interface, Asus had to use add a NIC in addition to the
nForce chipset.

> Is one NIC more suited to be the external?

  For practical purposes, I doubt there's a difference.

  It might be that one could provide theoretically higher throughput
(due to hardware design or driver maturity), but you'd almost
certainly never notice in a home network.

> The reason I'm asking is because in the past I have had dual NICs and they
> used the same driver (because they were the same type). So I'm just
> suprised to see two onboard NICs that take different drivers.

  I've seen it before.  For example, when gig Ethernet was more
expensive then it is now, it wasn't unusual to see one gig interface
and one 10/100 interface onboard.

-- Ben