On Sunday 08 January 2006 09:37 pm, Bruce Dawson wrote:
> Ben Scott wrote:
> |On 1/8/06, Brian Chabot <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> |>I have a relatively new machine that pauses for 20-120 seconds between
> |>SYN/ACK and issuing the banner on all TCP connections.
>
> Typically, this is indicative of DNS resolution problems. Check your
> /etc/resolv.conf.

I thought so, too.

But the resolv.conf is functionally identical to those in the other Mandriva
installs on the same LAN. (only the comments were different.)  Nameservers
are pingable, fast, and name resolution works.

The pause continues on machines where this ons can get a PTR in miliseconds.

I'll shut off some services and get a tcpdump tomorrow night.  This box was
forced into early production after a HDD failure just before Christmas.

Previous testing with ethereal shows no packets between ACK and the service's
banner many seconds later.

Brian