Some general commentary...

Palm thinks they are a hardware company, so they don't think Microsoft
is their competition.  Wrong on both counts.  After being bought by
USR, and then by 3Com, and then spun off again, the company was split
in two.  PalmOne for hardware; PalmSource for software (PalmOS).
PalmOne has since bought Handspring and changed their name back to
Palm.  All the other PalmOS licensees (Sony/Clie, Samsung, Kyocera)
have lost interest.  So for practical purposes, PalmSource and Palm
might as well be one company.  And, of course, Microsoft isn't
anybody's friend.

It continually amazes me that people keep falling for Microsoft's
lure.  "Sure, every other partner they've had, they've eventually
eaten alive, but I'm sure ole Billy will be nice to *us*.  He's our
friend!"  Fool me once...

I was once told that NT on the Alpha was fairly limited in it's
support for 64-bit operation, and didn't even properly support the
large memory model.  I think it was by someone trying to sell OSF/1
licenses, though, so that info might be biased.  :)

-- Ben "I'm gonna miss my Clie when it dies" Scott