Thomas Charron <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>   True, however, it would seem Kenny seems to intend to not require
> any auth traffic to have to go over the wire to the remote site.  So
> in reality, when authenticating via LDAP, he'd want to replicate the
> LDAP server is TWO locations.

Not so! You have an LDAP server in both locations, both of which are
children of the ou=corp,ou=foo,ou=bar domain and allow *any member* of
that super-domain access.  You manage the accounts for these domains
centrally on the super-domain server, and occassionally push out the
entire hierarchy to both sub-domain servers.  Everyone authenticates
locally. (why is this so difficult to grasp?  I feel like this is the
third or fourth time I've explained this.)

>   His primary question, however, is if he can have 2 Samba servers
> providing authentication for one single Active Directory domains.
> This way both sites would acknowledge the users authentication
> within the domain.

And the answer I keep giving is no, not really, but sort of if you do
it with a tiered configuration.

>   Am I right here Kenny, or did I misread the question?

No, you're not understanding the answers.

>> A member of a Windows Domain authenticates against it's Domain
>> Controller.  Hence, my answer to set it up hierarchically using LDAP.
>

>   But he wants to know if he can have multiple domain controllers
> distributed accross two physical locations, authing off of their own copies
> of the LDAP tree.
>
>   It answers his question, but not clearly..  ;-)

And the answer is yes, but that would require cross-domain
authentication in the case that someone from ou=here got to ou=there.
But if you configure your LDAP acls such that 'ou=*, ou=corp, ou=foo,
ou=bar' can access whatever, then you never need to cross domains.

>> LDAP becomes you're authenticating agent in your scheme, since there
>> is no "DC" per se, just a Samba server configured to hand off requests
>> to an LDAP server.  Have local DCs which authenticate users configured
>> such that either DC will allow users from both "domains" to access
>> everything via LDAP.
>

>   He doesn't want 2 domains.  He wants 1.

Then he can't do what he wants.  What's the problem with two domains?
Technically, they're *sub* domains, and for all intents and purposes,
he manages them as one.  The users have no clue what domainn their in,
nor do they care.

>> > The reason for this is that people will travel between here and
>> > there quite often,
>> Yeah, so.  Just set the ACLs up to allow anyone in 'ou=*, ou=corp,
>> dc=foo, dc=com' access to whatever you want everyone to access.
>
>   That would work, but still require maintaining two seperate directories.
> Seems it'd be much easier to just have one and replicate the LDAP server.

This statement seems to indicate a fundamental lack of knowledge of
LDAP, hierarchical design, and, well, just about everything else we're
talking about here.

--

Seeya,
Paul