> I wasn't explicitely wanting roaming profiles (as I view them as evil).

  May I ask why?

  I've generally found they make things a lot better.  Lock down the
workstations, no "root" access for the lusers, use domain
authentication and roaming profiles.  When a Windoze workstation gets
screwed up (not like *that* ever happens), swap it out or re-image it.
 One profile sync later, the user is back up and running like nothing
happened.

  This assumes all the clients are Win NT4/2000/XP.  Win 95/98/Me are
to Win NT4/2000/XP as Win NT4/2000/XP are to *nix.

  I've done this with both Microsoft and Samba servers, too, so it's
not completely off-topic.  For Samba, the critical part is to have
something like

        logon path = \\server\profiles\%U\

in your smb.conf on the Samba DC, and

        [profiles]
        comment = Windows Roaming User Profiles
        path = /path/to/some/dir/
        browseable = no
        guest ok = no
        writable = yes
        create mask = 600
        directory mask = 700
        csc policy = disable

on the Samba server holding the roaming profile share (which can be
the same server).

  Note that the share holding the roaming profile must *NOT* be a
"magic" share.  That is, the "path" must be the same for every user
who connects to the share.  Not the "homes" share.  No Samba variables
in the "path" directive.

-- Ben "Show me a $HOME where the buffer 'flows roam..." Scott