Bill Freeman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>  > Yes, the fact that backup files were being acted upon
>  > instead of ignored might be counted as a bug, but leaving
>  > junk lying around like that is still just basically rude.
>
>       I'll have to disagree.  I find it to be friendly.  Perhaps
> less so in the days of no subdirectories and a very limited number of
> directory entries in the root of a DOS floppy, or if you know of some
> standard file suffix that ends in tilde.  To each his own.

To leave around a backup file or two is common courtesy *if* there's a
really good reason.  To leave around multiple backup files for
everything in that directory for no real reason is rude and messy.

If there's a good reason, better to rename the file to something like:

 'ifcfg-eth0.old-config-before-network-renumbering'

Of course, that assumes your OS is capable of long file names.  In the
days of dos, this wasn't possible.  In a case like that, it would be
courteous IMO to leave behind a README explaining things.
--

Seeya,
Paul