Ben said:
>  Boot the machine with the card removed.
>  Check the logs and/or dmesg for problems with PCMCIA.
'dmesg | grep -i pcmcia' came back empty
So I tried restarting PCMCIA:
/etc/init.d/pcmcia restart
hutting down PCMCIA services: done.
Starting PCMCIA services: cardmgr [2579]: open_sock(socket 2) failed:
bad file descriptor
cardmger [2579]: watching 2 sockets
done.

When I instered the card i saw:
PCI: Enabling device 0000:05:00.0 (0000 -> 0003)

lsmod before and after only showed one change: yenta_socket changed
from 'Used by 0' to 'Used by 1'

/etc/modprobe.conf says:
  alias eth0 tulip
but trying 'insmod eth0' returns
  insmod: can't read 'eth0': no such file or directory
and trying 'insmod tulip' returns
  insmod: can't read 'tulip': no such file or directory

My routing tables look good, the firewall has been flushed, and I still
can't ping even inside the network.

--
TARogue (Linux user number 234357)
 -Give a man a fish & he's fed for a day. Teach him to fish & he'll spend