There is a run-time and a build-time component for the streads:
/usr/include/pthread.h == Linux threads
/usr/include/nptl/pthread.h == NPTL
/usr/lib/libpthread.so is a script that points to /lib/libpthread.so.0
/usr/lib/nptl/libpthread.so is a script that points
to /lib/tls/libpthread.so.0

By default on RHEL (2.4.21 kernel) a simple compile:
gcc foo.c -o foo -pthread

Seems to run under NPTL.
export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.19
Causes the program to run under Linux Threads since LD_ASSUME_KERNEL does
affect the dynamic linker.

The question comes down to a build. I want to force the build to a Linux
Threads environment so I do not have to set  LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.19.

The issue is that there appears to be a dlopen(2) issue with the RHEL 3.0
version of NPTL.

The actual code I'm working with takes over 8 hours to build on an ia64. I
want to force it to be fully Linux Threads.
I don't want to have to specifically point to /lib/libpthread.so.0 if I
don't have to.

---
Note I have an RHEL 4 system I plan to run a test on, but it does not have
the build sources on it yet. RHEL 4 does have a 2.6 kernel.
--
Jerry Feldman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Boston Linux and Unix user group