On Feb 15, 2006, at 11:35, Ted Roche wrote:

Yeah, what's up with that? InnoDB last year and now Sleepycat. I've done a few development projects with Oracle 8 and 9, but I'm not well-informed on how they work. I understand Oracle buys a fair number of small software companies. Is this like CA, who absorbs and smothers?

Oracle usually buys market segments and mindshare. So they bought PeopleSoft because it competed with Oracle's product. They've bought Clinical Trials companies because they were competitors. They bought Corporate Time because they didn't have an Exchange competitor. They exhibit the positive and negative aspects of The Borg in this regard.

What do you think they are up to?

I don't know. I don't think they do either. But people who say, "Why would I use Oracle when I can use MySQL with InnoDB?," or, "I don't need Oracle, I have BerkeleyDB," get to say they're Oracle customers now. Or vice-versa. Which is probably well worth the acquisition price of either company to Larry. I bet it's to shut up some Wall Street analyst.

If I had to guess, their next acquisition will be Greenplum, which makes a commercial extension to PostgreSQL which competes favorably with Oracle RAC. Since it's not open source yet, now's a great time to keep it that way. Live by the BSD license, die by the BSD license.

-Bill
-----
[EMAIL PROTECTED]           Cell: 603.252.2606
Blog: http://blog.bfccomputing.com/