>   I did some work with Tripwire and alternatives a few years ago,
 > although I haven't touched it recently.  Anyone want to toss out
 > alternatives/suggestions/best practices/etc?

   The first thought that comes to mind is, is it overkill?  Really necessary?
To do tripwire or aids "right" it requires a fair amount of work -- and makes
software updates quite a bit more difficult than simply running yum or
apt-get.

   As I'm sure you're aware, to do tripwire or aids properly, the database has
to be on read-only media.  IMHO, that means burned to a CD.  Doing updates on
a remote box without easy physical access is going to be a PITA.

 Regards,
 .
 Randy

--
Do you like browsing the web, independent of whatever type of computer you are
talking to on the other end? "Enhancements" to public standard protocols is