Dan Coutu wrote:
On a new installation of Centos 4.2 (a RHEL clone from source) I'm seeing the following error in the messages file:

Mar 3 15:55:06 hanka dbus: Can't send to audit system: USER_AVC pid=2521 uid=81 loginuid=-1 message=avc: denied { send_msg } for scontext=root:system_r:unconfined_t tcontext=user_u:system_r:initrc_t tclass=dbus

I've never heard of a dbus. So first of all, what's a dbus, and secondly, what does this error mean?

Thanks for any insights that you can share!

As others have mentioned already, dbus is related to the hald, and I believe the two were first introduced with the 2.6 kernel.

I haven't seen a reply about your error message yet. That error is coming from SElinux, and probably means you need to adjust an access list somewhere. If you can figure out what service the error is coming
from, you can try running system-config-securitylevel to adjust the
rules for that service.

For example, if the error is coming from apache, the easiest workaround is to allow the httpd daemon to run unrestricted.

ICQ 28611923 / AIM abreauj / JABBER [EMAIL PROTECTED] / YAHOO abreauj
Email [EMAIL PROTECTED] / WWW http://www.abreau.net / PGP-Key-ID 0xD5C7B5D9