I'm CCing my reply to the list because it sounds like Christopher meant for his question to go to the list.

Christopher Chisholm wrote:

I've been keeping my eyes out for an old laptop HD for a while.. I really want one of those USB 2.0 enclosures on a small drive, but the ones they sell are crazy over priced. I just want something like 5 gigs or more for some music/work files. Does anyone know of a good place to look for something like this? I usually check e-bay the past few times I've looked there wasn't really anything very cheap.

I've not seen very good prices on laptop hard drives. They always cost more than 3.5" drives. About the only way to get them for cheap is to take them out of your old notebook when you get a new one, or if you put a bigger drive in your notebook.--I got mine when my old laptop stopped booting.

I found some decent USB 2.0 enclosures at CompUSA. They're by Norwood Micro, and look kind of like an iPod. They're white plastic with aluminum cooling fins. Also, unlike most of the other enclosures I've seen, they don't require a second USB power adaptor. It gets all its juice on the one USB line. I've been using it for over a week now with good results. They cost about $25.

thanks!

-chris