On 3/12/06, Jeff Kinz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>   You do realize that "the government" and "us" are one and the same, yes?
>
> Ben there is some overlap, but they are most definitively not the same.

  So what the distinguishing characteristics between you and
(presumably) me, and members of "the government"?  If my assumption
that I am currently included in the "us" is correct, suppose I run for
and win an office.  Do I stop being "us" then?  What if I just run and
lose?  What if I just write a letter that influences a congressman?
Where do you draw the line?

> It would be nice if it were true, but if that were the case, why did the
> government put itself in internment camps during WWII?

  You're drawing the lines at the wrong places.  The "government"
didn't do that to "itself"; people did it to other people.You speak as
if "the government" was a separate species, or have some kind of
disease.  All jokes aside, people are people.  There are good people.
There are evil people.  There are dumb people.  There are people who
think differently than I.  There are people I disagree with, and those
who agree with me.  There are people out for money, or power, or fame.
 There are people who think they know better than others (perhaps
everyone falls into this category).  There are people who think they
are doing right, but others think they are wrong.

  I have yet to see any evidence that "the government" does things
that "regular" people don't do to each other every day.  (This is not
an endorsement.)

  I most especially don't believe that there is this mystical force of
"government" to which we can ascribe all the evil and injustice in
this world.  You're only fooling yourself if you believe that.  It's
much closer than that; the problem is ourselves.

  I don't hold an illusions that the people who are "the government"
are any better then other people, but nor do I believe they are
somehow tainted.  Failures in government occur not because government
is inherently flawed, but because people are.  As long as the human
creature continues to be imperfect, so will all our endeavors,
government not least among them.

  I don't hold any hopes for things improving in that sense -- I fully
expect people, myself most certainly included, to continue to be
imperfect.  Some more then others, yes.  All we can do is strive to
make it so that, at the end of the day, the good things people have
done outnumber the bad.

  Maintaining this delusion that "they" are somehow inherently
different from "us" only creates further resistance, strife, and
entropy.

  I find this behavior especially egregious because the same thing
happens the other way.  When those in government start to believe
"they" are *not* the same as "us", the time is especially ripe for
abuses of power, for lack of understanding, for bad deeds to be done
in the name of good.  By perpetuating that way of thinking in "us",
you enable it for "them".

  Needless to say, I don't agree.

-- Ben Scott