Ben Scott writes:
 > On 3/23/06, Bill Freeman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
 > >         Both machines are on the inside side of the router, from which
 > > point of view I presume that it acts like a switch or hub.
 >
 >   Oh.  I believe you are correct, there.  So much for that theory.  :-/

        An interesting additional data point is that if I tell the ftp
client on Knoppix to use passive mode, then I can no longer do
transfers.  I can log in, change directory, but I can't, for example,
list the directory.  I get "no route to host".  Perhaps Fedora's
installer is using passive mode, and there is a firewall problem or a
vsftpd configuration problem on the server.

        Time for Bill to learn how passive mode works and maybe to drag
out ethereal.

                                                        Bill