Ben Scott wrote:

Perhaps, an upgrade or a switch to a different firewall software is in order.

  What are you using now?

Currently, it is a relatively old release of IP Filter (ipf) from http://coombs.anu.edu.au/~avalon/ that was hacked up by the OpenBSD folks before the licensing "clarification."

(Really weird stuff seems to be going on with that machine tonight. It's running OpenBSD 2.7, and I'm using a KVM to access the console. However, tonight, when I try to login at the console, everything I type is in all caps, regardless of the state of the caps lock key. I can ssh in just fine, so I want to blame the presence of the KVM and the fact that I recently started using the keyboard key combination to switch between systems. In the past, I always used the button on the KVM itself. It must have something to do with that machine having an AT keyboard port and I'm using an AT/PS-2 adapter to connect it to the KVM.)

I used to use ipfw when my gateway was a PowerMac with MkLinux on it. I had pretty good luck with ipfw, and its built in "ftp proxy" module seemed to work.

I intend to upgrade my gateway to OpenBSD 3.9 when it comes out this summer. I may end up having to upgrade the hardware, too.