On Mar 28, 2006, at 15:31, Drew Van Zandt wrote:

Also, you can run a Pentium M on mini-ITX boards these days, at least.
 That's not *too* weak a processor.

I have an embedded 1.7(8?) GHz Pentium-M-based appliance I'm working on and it's really nice. Cool, quiet, quick. On the other hand the board at that link is an 800MHz Via C3. I have one of those as my Asterisk server, and it's, well, it's an i686 missing a few instructions so you have to compile as i586 for everything which isn't automatically detected. The performance is fine for what it is, probably like a 500MHz P3.

Still, that box might suck for performance, but if you had a mission critical app (thinking physical security, monitoring a nuclear power plant, etc.) it would be great to have a cookie-cutter box with a heartbeat between mobos with a linux-HA thing and maybe Oracle's new clusterfs on it.

-Bill

-----
[EMAIL PROTECTED]           Cell: 603.252.2606
Blog: http://blog.bfccomputing.com/