Well, enough people have posted about the political ramifications and
what the project is about.  Now I'd like to say why *I* want one.

1. It's cheap.  Even at $300.
2. 400MHz/128MB/512MB is plenty for what I need a laptop to do.
3. It's got WiFi built in with mesh capabilities - Under Linux.  No more
struggling with Intel's crappy Linux "support" for their WiFi chipsets.
4. Hand Crank.  Why do I like this?  Because I do a lot of camping and
I'm often in places where I can't plug in.  This is *THE* selling point
to me.  It means I can go out in the mountains for *weeks* and still
have a working laptop to work on.  Without praying for sunny days so a
solar charger works or buying a recharging backpack thingie.  It's all
in there.
5. "Sunlight Readable" display. - yet configurable for massive power
savings with monochrome.
6. EBook mode. - Not only the physical config but the low power mode of it.
7. Spill resistant keyboard - How hard is it for laptop manufacturers to
make their systems a bit better resistant to people knocking soda cans
or coffee cups over on to a laptop?
8.  No rotating media - Makes this thing impact resistant.
9. Seals for better water and dust resistance when closed.
10. USB External storage available - (Doesn't matter which laptop you
are using, your files are on the usb dongle.)

Just being a bit selfish here, but these are things hardware
manufacturers might want to think about.

Brian