On 6/7/06, John Abreau <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Bill Freeman wrote:

> The chart that I read showed the V4 to have half as much of each
> kind of memory as the V3.  No other important differences.  Or
> my memory (in my head) may be failing if you have to go back
> further to get a full memory WRT54G.

Where did you find that chart? The one I looked at a few months ago
showed V5 having half the memory of V4, and V4 having the same as
V3 and earlier.

As Mike said:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WRT54G

Now, the wrt54G has always been 16/4 until the switch to VXworks w/ v5

The wrt54GS was 32/8 until it went 16/4 with v4.0 and 16/2 with v5 and VXworks.

If you want to buy a new, linux version, the wrt54GL still runs linux (that's the L) and is 16/4 like the wrt54G v4

So, the bad news is that they switched to VXworks and the RAM/Flash reduction outweighed the licensing costs.  However, people were buying enough of them because they could modify the linux firmware to justify a continued linux version.

ICQ 28611923 / AIM abreauj / JABBER [EMAIL PROTECTED] / YAHOO abreauj
Email [EMAIL PROTECTED] / WWW http://www.abreau.net / PGP-Key-ID 0xD5C7B5D9