On Jun 26, 2006, at 22:11, Chris Linstid wrote:

I heard that Broadcom's excuse for their reluctance to release any specifications for the wireless chipset is that the chips are used for both commercial and military functions and the military functions include software radio. So, I guess they don't want the general public to be able to access those functions. Why they are allowed by the DoD to sell the same chips in both spaces is beyond me.

Wow, if the cheap Broadcom wireless chips have a software-defined radio in them that would definitely be worth reverse-engineering.

I thought only the spendy TI chips were candidates for SDR hacking.

Of course, they couldn't possibly release an API that didn't include the calls to the SDR functions. And clearly not helping linux will thwart Kim Jong Ill's squadron of Evil Hackers from reversing the chip. Broadcom is so patriotic.

-Bill
-----
[EMAIL PROTECTED]           Cell: 603.252.2606
Blog: http://blog.bfccomputing.com/