Jon maddog Hall writes:
> Hi folks,
>
> It is not often I have a problem, but here one is.
>
> I recently bought a LACIE 600 GByte USB 2.0 disk, unwrapped it and plugged it
> into my SuSE 10.1 distribution.
>
> Normally I plug in a USB storage device and it mounts, with a nice little
> icon that comes up.  No such luck.  I hear the drive spin up and the heads
> load,
> but that is about it.
>
> So I do a "dmesg" and I get this out of it:
>
> usb 4-1: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 10
> usb 4-1: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 11
> usb 4-1: new device found, idVendor=0451, idProduct=6250
> usb 4-1: new device strings: Mfr=2, Product=3, SerialNumber=1
> usb 4-1: Product: TUSB6250 Boot Device
> usb 4-1: Manufacturer: Texas Instruments
> usb 4-1: SerialNumber: AAB74D460127
> usb 4-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
>
> I expected to see something like "/dev/sdX" but that did not come up.
>
> I poked around the net, found some information about "ehci_hcd" drivers, etc.
> and it told me to do a "lsusb":
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]:~> lsusb
> Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
> Bus 004 Device 011: ID 0451:6250 Texas Instruments, Inc.
> Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
> Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
> Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

'lsusb -v' will show the class of the device:

    Interface Descriptor:
      bLength                 9
      bDescriptorType         4
      bInterfaceNumber        0
      bAlternateSetting       0
      bNumEndpoints           3
      bInterfaceClass         8 Mass Storage
      bInterfaceSubClass      6 SCSI
      bInterfaceProtocol     80 Bulk (Zip)
      iInterface              0

If it isn't a Mass Storage class usb device you need to create a
manual mapping of vendor/device (0451/6250 in your case) to have
hotplug map it to the usb-storage driver.

This will tell hotplug to load the usb-storage module when that device
is discovered.  You can manually modprobe usb-storage to see if that
helps.

I'm not to familiar with suse, but you need to find one of hte mapping
files usually under /etc/hotplug or /etc/hotplug/usb and add an entry
mapping the vendor/device to the usb-storage driver.

I can never remember what all the fields are but something like:

usb-storage 0x000f 0x0451 0x6250 0x0 0x0 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00
0x00000000

--
Dave