On 11/5/06, Ben Scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 11/5/06, Tom Buskey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Who wants a
>> half-height, 18 GB SCSI drive, these days?
>
> Someone who runs older hardware at home

  Yah, I used to do that, too.  But when you can get a PATA disk
that's two orders of magnitude larger in capacity, half the size
physically, a quarter of the heat and noise output, and five times
faster, it gets hard to justify even "free" old hardware.

For disk drives, yeah.  But how much CPU do you really need for a file
server/dns/dhcp/web/a few other things?

> I have a bunch of SATA drives in a "box" with a fan and a PC power
> supply.  Long 42" SATA cables run from it to the controller in my home
> server.

  Yup, and with eSATA starting to take off, I expect this will become

I don't get what the deal is with eSATA.  I think it's just an
external port?  I have controller to 5" SATA extender cable, then 42"
SATA cable to disk.

more and more common.  (Though I do wish something like Firewire had
won out instead.  It would be nice to have just *one* cable running
between the boxes.)

Yeah.  Well, there *is* USB 2.0.

> That could be done with SCSI even more easily; one cable
> going back to the controller.

  Yup.  Old trick, and a great use for that extra AT tower case you
had sitting around.  But see above about the march of hardware.  You
can have the giant external SCSI JBOX, or a single PATA disk which
holds twice as much.

Or, take that AT tower, stuff it with disks (primaryies, not
secondaries), controllers, fans and a gigabit ethernet card.  Throw
Linux in it w/ iSCSI target and RAID-5 and LVM the disks.  Or not.

Throw gigabit ethernet in your server and iSCSI initiator.  You have a SAN.

The hard part of that is cooling, power and monitoirng.  But it works.