Jeffry Smith wrote:
> On 11/13/06, Bill Sconce <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> On Sat, 11 Nov 2006 22:54:11 +0300

>> all the
>> > >
>> > Only one problem - I doubt Novell owns all the Unix copyrights.
>>

>> And SCO didn't own Unix copyrights either.
>>
>> SCO's lawsuits are not, and were never, likely to prevail.  But lack
>> of basis didn't stop lawsuits from happening.  As long as money has
>> continued to be available there has been continuing court action,
>> and continuing FUD in the press which *ahem* somebody may have found
>> convenient.
>>
>> (True, harassment/FUD lawsuits cost big money.  But that didn't stop
>> SCO.  They were even able to find investors to pitch in and help...)
>
> And the effect on linux growth has been?  I see how well it has
> stopped Linux growth - why no one uses it, and GNHLUG is moving to
> Windows Vista :-)

I believe there is well documented evidence that these patent
announcements adversely effect Linux companies in terms of stock prices
and partnering ventures - just contrast stock prices of the company's
affected by these announcements right around the time of the
announcement. Not that the Linux community cares all that much about
"companies" - it just cares about its freedom to "express itself" in
software. ;-)

About the only thing that can affect "free" stuff (software, hardware,
air, ...) are legal actions, resources and perception.

So far, Microsoft hasn't been successful with legal actions - at least
not in a non-intimidation way. And the lack of resources is sorta moot
for software. That leaves perception, which is what this action is aimed
at. Probably with a hope to bolster any future legal action.

Software and business process patents are sorta new in the
change-resistant legal profession. Its only a matter of time before they
are considered endorsed or rejected by the legal community. So far,
Microsoft and big business has been building a strong case that these
patent classes are good for society (and of course, for commerce).

It still remains for the community-at-large to convince the legal
profession that they are bad for society.

I know a strong case can be made for the DMCA being bad for society
(technology lost because it can't be reconstructed - legally or
otherwise, and then there's anti-competitive behavior), but unless
longer terms are granted for patents, I don't see how that will
adversely impact society.

> On 11/12/06, Ben Scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> You're assuming any "intellectual property" that Linux might
>> "violate" is from the original Unix source.  Linux is largely new
>> code, and there are plenty of new ideas in it.
>
> For the purpose of MS buying Novell - yes.  Certainly MS can sue over
> patents they may hold now, but they don't need to by Novell to do that
> (what this reply started on).
>
> In fact, I believe OSDL has calculated that about 283 patents "MAY"
> have something to do with Linux (it depends on if they're valid
> patents, etc).

How many software patents have been granted since that calculation was
made? And how many are in the protective state of being pending? And how
much will it cost a small company (or non-profit, or individual) to
defend itself against a "bad patent"?

--Bruce