On Nov 30, 2006, at 11:59, Paul Lussier wrote:

However, now when backups are run, the system becomes completely
unresponsive from an NFS client perspective, and the load average
skyrockets (e.g. into the 40s!).

Does anyone have any ideas ?  I'm at a complete loss on this one.

Have you tried taking the RAM out and seeing if performance reverts?

If so... are the RAM sticks the correct type, properly installed for memory interleaving, etc?

Did the BIOS decide to reset itself when new RAM was installed? Could the BIOS be buggy with 4GB of RAM (that thing with the upper 640MB of RAM being masked)? When you're getting desperate you can reset the BIOS to known-good/failsafe/optimized defaults and see if anything changes.

I've forgotten some 2.4 stuff but there was a big-mem version of the 2.4 kernel at one point to work around problems with "too much" RAM.

All guesses...

-Bill

-----
[EMAIL PROTECTED]           Cell: 603.252.2606
Blog: http://blog.bfccomputing.com/

For fastest support contact, please follow:
http://bfccomputing.com/support_contact.html