> > > You use an assembler??
> > >
> > > Real men program directly in '1's and '0's, and the ones that have
> > > been doing it a long time only use write-once ROMs.....
> >
> >  And I bet they use switches! Now, wire-wrap and diodes...
>
> Wirewrap? Paugh, just solder directly to the tubes... (Not the Internet
> tubes, the vacuum ones. :-D )
> Or cut the teeth in those gears and cams for Mr. Babbage's engine.
> Unless we go back to the Antikythera Mechanism, I think that's as low as
> we can go.
> (Please correct me if I'm wrong, as I know y'all will.) :-)

Yup, one step lower....

So far Dan seems to be winning the definition of "real men",

Of course we are being really sexist with this talk of "real men", and
we should probably change it to "real programmers" to take into account
both sexes.  On the other hand, probably women are smart enough to make
use of good tools to create good programs, and not join in this folly.

Yeah, real women use base pair programming using adenine, thymine,
cytosine and guanine encoding... with encryption strong enough that
the rest of us are still only slowly decoding it yet, and evolutionary
computing methods that have produced some interesting results...

md