On Tue, Jan 30, 2007 at 07:42:54AM -0800, mike shlitz wrote:

> Best choice for *NIX OS for this machine?  I have
> CentOS running well on my old DEC Alpha.  Ubuntu
> running smoothly on some iMac's, I see FreeBSD has a
> port for IA64, or maybe FC-6 (64bit)?  The last time I
> heard someone say "Itanium" at a LUG meeting, it was
> followed by hoots of laughter.

The DL590 is of circa 2002/2003 vintage but at the time SLES7 and Red
Hat 7.2 were both supported on it.

* "Deployment of Red Hat Linux 7.2 Itanium Processor Family on Compaq ProLiant
DL590/64 Servers"
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/UCR/SupportManual/TPM_16s6-0502a-wwen_rev0_us/TPM_16s6-0502a-wwen_rev0_us.pdf

* "Deployment of SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 7 for Itanium Processor Family on
Compaq ProLiant DL590/64 Servers"
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/UCR/SupportManual/TPM_164j-0102a-wwen_rev2_us/TPM_164j-0102a-wwen_rev2_us.pdf

* Firmware and drivers can be found here:
http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/family/model/1263.html?lang=en&cc=us&prodSeriesId=254895

I'd try installing debian it...

-marc
--