That said, I'm wondering if anybody out there has any recommendations
for decent SIP providers?  I'm not interested in somebody like Vonage,
simply because you have to go through extra hoops (and, if I understand
correctly, pay extra money) to get your username/password so you can
plug it into Asterisk.

I would go with Broadvoice. They have the BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) plan that's only $6/month (ends up being about $9 after taxes and whatnot) and you can upgrade to full service once you get all the bugs worked out.

Their support is fantastic and they were very helpful with helping me get my HT-286 working

--Travis