On 2/5/07, Michael ODonnell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>But the hda_intel supported it minimally?  What kernel version?
>The changelog to the module seemed to insinuate that it worked
>pretty well.
The hda_intel driver initializes/manages the hardware well
enough that RealPlayer or xmms or FlashPlayer can at least
play music through it, and it sounds OK - no worse than the
SoundBlaster I had in the machine I just retired.  But none
of those apps can control the volume, so I always have to be
running alsamixer or tkmixer, as well, for use as a volume
control.  And neither alsamixer nor tkmixer offer to allow
me to adjust anything other than the volume - all the rest of
the mixers and such are either not presented or not functioning.

 Check out http://www.archivesat.com/Linux_audio_users/thread1284163.htm

 Perhaps it relates to your issue, while not directly.  Almost sounds
like alsa is saying, 'Yes, I see some kind of soundcard, but I don't
know Poo about it', and providing very minimal capabilities.  alsaconf
may help.

--
-- Thomas