On 2/12/07, TARogue <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Pine. Because I know all the commands.

 Yah, me too... tried mutt once or twice, was irritated that I
couldn't get it to do what I wanted to [6][7], since it seemed really
powerful.  One thing Pine does better then just about anything I've
used is provide lots of hand-holding for the total newbies, but still
do a good job at getting out of your if you ask it to, and provide a
fair dose of "power user" functionality.  Pine was the first *nix
program I ever really used.

 As of late, I've switched to Gmail, just because it's so damn
convenient.  But I still miss Pine.

 MH and friends always appealed to me, but they don't work with IMAP
at all, which was always a deal-breaker for me.  Of course, here I am
using Gmail, which also doesn't work with IMAP at all....  :-/

Except how to reply only to gnhlug, and not everyone else without
editing the "To: " and "Cc: " lines.

 I did this by sorting all GNHLUG mail into an incoming folder (using
procmail), and then using a Pine Role to make all replies to mail in
that folder get addressed to the list posting address only.  From my
.pinerc file back then:

patterns-roles=LIT:pattern="/NICK=gnhlug/[EMAIL
PROTECTED],gnhlug-discuss/FLDTYPE=EMAIL"
action="/ROLE=1/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/FCC=lists\/gnhlug/SIG=.disclaimer/CSTM=To:
gnhlug-discuss@mail.gnhlug.org,Mail-Reply-To:
[EMAIL PROTECTED],Cc:,Mail-Followup-To:
gnhlug-discuss@mail.gnhlug.org/RTYPE=YES/FTYPE=YES/CTYPE=NO"

 As I recall, that breaks down to...

patterns-roles=
        Pine config file declaration

LIT:
        Magic.

pattern="
        Begins the definition of the pattern to look for to trigger this thing.

NICK=gnhlug
        nickname of the Role (or is it of the Pattern?)

/PARTIC=...
        List of participants to match on.  In this case, the list posting
address and an alias.

/FLDTYPE=EMAIL"
        More magic.  "Folder type is email" is the obvious meaning, but what
*else* would the folder type be?  News,  maybe?  The quote closes the
"pattern" declaration.

action="
        Action to take when the pattern matches.

/ROLE=1
        Magic.  Would appear to mean this is Role 1, or should use Role 1, or
something, but all of my rules from said .pinerc file use the same
"ROLE=1", and I cannot find anything else that mentions Roles, so...?

/[EMAIL PROTECTED]
        Explicitly sets "Reply-To" to be the list posting address, because I
wanted to discourage off-list replies to my mail (take *that*,
anti-munging weenies! [2]).  Leave out if you prefer not to do that.

/FCC=lists\/gnhlug
        Saves mail to my list folder for the gnhlug-discuss list.  FCC is
Pine-speak ("Folder Carbon Copy") for save-to-file.  The slash (/) is
a directory separator, and has to be escaped with a backslash (\),
since this .pinerc context uses slash as a command flag.

/SIG=.disclaimer
        At the time, I used a disclaimer sig instead of my corporate sig in
list email.

/CSTM=...
        Force custom mail headers.