On 2/15/07, Kent Johnson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Some thoughts on this topic by Eric Raymond here, in the broader context
of "What will be the dominant 64-bit OS":

http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/world-domination/world-domination-201.html

Everyone writing in this(these) thread(s) should go read this.  I might not
agree with everything said (and who does anyways?) but he examines the issue
of 64 bitness thoroughly.

Someone mentioned endianess here too.  Jon Bently(sp?) in Programming Pearls
says that storing his numerical results as ASCII meant he didn't have to
worry about the transition from VAX to SPARC to intel as he would've with
binary.

Personally, I think the 64 bit transition will happen when applications that
people want get there.  The history of video game consoles is a decent
example.  Computers have the addition of worrying about legacy applications.