On 2/17/07, Jon 'maddog' Hall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Sat, 2007-02-17 at 02:43 -0500, Bill McGonigle wrote:
> On Feb 17, 2007, at 01:22, Nigel Stewart wrote:
>
> >     The Engineers I've worked with tend towards the
> >     "just make it work" philosophy.  Interpret the
> >     spec as narrowly and specifically as possible,
> >     and rely on nobody being rude enough to point out
> >     the unhandled cases, fragile assumptions, or
> >     broader incompatibilities.  "It's the schedule,
> >     stupid!"
>
> That's a good illustration of why "real Engineers" get so worked up
> when line computer programmers call themselves Engineers.
>
> 'cause that's no way to build a bridge...
>
> -Bill

Like the classic "swings" picture of software development, I now picture
in my mind the bridge built by a software "engineer":

       o lots of fancy do-dads that do nothing, but have to be painted
         every year so they do not rust
       o exit ramps going off the bridge, most of which do not go
         anywhere, and let the car fall into the water

And don't forget that real Engineers (Professional Engineers) sign
their work and take responsibility for failures (reputation, money,
etc).

jeff