On 2/18/07, Bill Sconce <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
P.S. The prize has yet to be awarded.  Ben's explanation is close,
but his wording (including that "perhaps") makes me hold out for
one or two details.

 Well, I'm not really familiar with MH in practice; I've read a FAQ
and a web page or two, is all.  So I can only speculate.  But your
"grep" command should certainly find all the messages containing
"hosstraders".  I double-checked, and the messages in question do
indeed contain said string.  You did a case-insensitive search, so
that's not it.  So I don't think the problem is with your usage of
grep itself.

 Now, looking at your filename path:

~/Mail/...gnhlug.x/*

that looks a little funky to me.  I'm ass-uming the ellipse (...) is
just you omitting the full path for brevity, and you don't actually
have a folder named <...gnhlug.x>.  I have no idea what the <.x> might
signify; I'm hoping it's not something like a read-vs-unread
distinction.  But ultimately, you're asking for all files in a
directory: There's a directory separator there (/) followed by just a
star.  Not knowing enough about MH, I decided to just ass-ume the
message in question is in a file in that directory.  (If that's wrong,
all bets are off.)

 That leaves the order of presentation as the only place I can think
of where things could go wrong.  Based on the information in your
original message, you started at the end and worked backwards,
assuming the results were dated order.  If they were *not* in dated
order, you would have been tripped up.  So that seemed a good line of
reasoning to pursue.

 Looking at the pipeline you posted, there's nothing in there that
appears to specify any ordering at all.  It's just a search for a
string.  As far as I know, neither the generic Unix filesystem, nor
the shell, specify any ordering of files.  They could be returned in a
different random order every time and still be "legal".  There's
certainly nothing that says they have to return your email message
files sorted by the date of the message.  So I decided that's the most
likely possible problem.

 If you want me to get more specific in my speculation, there's a
couple possibilities I can think of.  One is that your system did not
receive/sort the mail in the order it was originally sent.  All sorts
of that might happen (mail server issues, spam, spam filtering, your
own mail organization, etc.).  Another possibility is that perhaps the
files were returned in ASCII sort order, not numeric sort order, and
you happened to hit bad luck around the message numbers.  That is to
say, if I have files named <1>, <3>, and <2438>, and apply a simple
ASCII sort is applied, <2438> will come before <3>.

-- Ben