On Feb 27, 2007, at 18:26, Jason Stephenson wrote:

* From what I've read, Ogg may not be all that safe to use patent- wise. Is this just FUD, or is there something to it?

I've heard the claim that it's patent-free hundreds of times. The FAQ at vorbis.com says:

What is Ogg Vorbis?

Ogg Vorbis is a new audio compression format. It is roughly comparable to other formats used to store and play digital music, such as MP3, VQF, AAC, and other digital audio formats. It is different from these other formats because it is completely free, open, and unpatented.

But last time I checked breathing was patented, so I've always been dubious of the claims. I don't know that it's possible to do an exhaustive patent search to make this claim with a very high confidence level.

So far nobody's sued, though, which is a good sign compared with other formats.

Also, remember, Ogg is the container, vorbis is the codec. You can have a FLAC Ogg, for instance.

-Bill
-----
[EMAIL PROTECTED]           Cell: 603.252.2606
New Blog: http://blog.bfccomputing.com/