"Ben Scott" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> On 3/9/07, Jerry Feldman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Apparently, not only does Windows need to be patched, but also various
>> programs.
>
>   That much is hardly unique to Microsoft.  Among other things, Sun's
> Java Runtime Environment needs fixes.  Plenty of application software
> will need attention, too.

We just had to deploy a DST patch for our product to our customers.
The patch included:
  - upgraded libc and libc-dev
  - timezone package
  - patched JRE (we use the IBM JRE/JDK)

Amusingly, the "patch tool" for the JRE appears to have been written
by a high school intern at IBM.  You have to run a graphical Java app
which, when it appears on your desktop displays half a button, the
label of which cannot be read.  Nor are there any directions on what
you're supposed to be doing with this box on your screen.  After
several iterations of trial-and-error, we discovered we were supposed
to use the text entry area to enter a path down which the tool then
looks for patchable JREs.  At some point you click the half button,
then wait until eventually, in the xterm you launched said app, you
see a message claiming the patch succeeded.  If it fails, you just sit
there looking at a anmy X frame with a text entry box and half a
button.

Fortunately a) the patch seems to have worked, and b) we can package
up this JRE into a .deb in order to pass on to our customers!
--
Seeya,
Paul