On 3/20/07, Paul Lussier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

With the tun/tap stuff you can have the guest OS create a bridge on
one of it's physical NICs and have your guest OS use normal IP address
to appear to other systems on your LAN as just another system.  I have
this up and running under Linux, Mac OS seems more difficult :(

With the user-land QEMU networking, you can use the -redir option to
redirect specific udp and/or tcp ports, which means I can, if I want,
still redirect X or use ssh from the host to the guest.  But I can't
do things like NFS mount file systems from other systems to the guest,
etc.

I was mainly interested in QEMU to run TiVo 2 Go to put videos on my storage
area.   I figured out how to get Galleon to do it instead; it's native Java
too.   There are still things QEMU is useful for though.

VMware seems to be faster, but I'm not running the kemu module.  VMware
> isn't an option for you on PPC nor me on Solaris.  kemu is available for
> Solaris x86, but not PPC.  I'm not sure about MacOSX x86.

I'm not using the kemu accelerator either, and as you said, VMWare
isn't an option :(

I don't think there's a non x86 kemu either.

QEMU has a nice tool that will convert VMware images to/from QEMU so you
can
> should be able to grab the prebuilt VMware appliances to use with QEMU.

That's a possibility, though I'm using this as a means of learning
while stuck on the train 2 hours a day, what fun is there in using an
appliance? (Hmmm, do they have a beer-dispensing appliance?  ;)

Ah, there are tons of prebuilt appliances.  Browser appliance.  Network
Monitoring appliance.  iSCSI applience.  LAMPs of various configs.  Etc.

VMware has a (free beer) ... application

Now THAT would be useful!  I've been looking for a free beer
application for quite a while! ;)

I was more interested when I was younger :-)