On 3/22/07, Don Leslie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
make modules_install

 This will copy all of the modules that just got built into
/lib/modules/$KVER, where KVER is the version defined in the kernel
Makefile.  It looks like they had you build with the kernel version
set to the same value for the pre-packaged kernel.  That would lead to
"make modules_install" overwriting the pre-packaged kernel's modules.
I've had that cause me significant grief, long ago.

 I have since learned to set the EXTRAVERSION tag in the kernel
top-level makefile to something unique for each kernel build
configuration.  That keeps any custom kernel's modules separate from
the pre-packaged kernel modules.

 Can you still boot the system using the pre-packaged kernel (using
the other GRUB entry)?

Cannot open root device LABEL=/ or 00:00
Unable to mount root fs on 00:00

 That means the kernel tried to mount the root filesystem, and
failed.  Since userland cannot exist without a filesystem, the kernel
panics and halts the system.

 Look prior to the above lines for messages that might indicate why
the root filesystem could not be mounted.  Also see if the kernel
appears to be detecting the disk containing your root filesystem.
There should be entries for partition table detection, at the very
least.

--
"One day I feel I'm ahead of the wheel / And the next it's rolling over me"
                                                 -- Rush, "Far Cry"