On 4/15/07, Bill McGonigle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
But there's no reason Firefox *on Windows* shouldn't be able
to work.

Is Firefox supporting Active-X controls now?  Ick.

 There's a plugin for it, or so I'm told.  More importantly, Windows
Media Player does not have to be invoked as an ActiveX control.  You
can spawn an external player just as easily (more easily, in fact).

 Moving back into the real of speculation: There's some rumblings
from the security people within Microsoft (who I get the feeling are
waging a constant battle with the "embrace and extend" people) that
embedding WMP in a web page is going to be deprecated.  There have
been a lot of reported problems with MSIE 7 on MS Win Vista and
embedded WMP, and it seems to be that one answer is "don't embed WMP,
spawn the external player".  Of course, like everything else from
Microsoft, one has no idea about what policy will be until the
official decree comes down, and then you're instantly wrong.  We've
always been at war with Eastasia.

-- Ben