On Mon, 2007-06-04 at 07:16 -0400, Tech Writer wrote:
> If you were looking for an new (not refurbished) inexpensive Linux
> laptop, that would be used primarily to run Firefox, OpenOffice and a
> DVD player, where would you get it?
>
> Peg

I recently bought an Acer Aspire 5100 and I'm writing this on it using
Ubuntu 7.04. This model cost ~$700 and has a dual core AMD processor, 1
GB ram and a 120 GB hard drive. The display is a 1280x800 resolution
high brightness panel. The system includes a DVD dual layer multi format
burner. The Ubuntu install was relatively painless with minor
troubleshooting needed to get the wireless working. You can either keep
or dump the Windows Vista that came with it although you might want to
use the included backup software to make a copy of the software that
came with it in case you need to send it in for service. An extra 2
years warranty was only $99.

-Alex

P.S. It's not a sub notebook but the weight is acceptable (maybe 6.5
lbs.).