Thanks very much for your suggestions.

On Mon, 2007-06-11 at 20:07 -0400, Bruce Labitt wrote:
> If she is doing a mathematically intensive paper, hands down, use
> LaTeX.  (Or LyX)  The other word processors don't even come close.

Well the consensus seems to be that LaTeX is the way to go.  Her
undergrad papers were done with Mathematica in Windows, using a copy
licensed to the school.

The first paper will be on knot theory.  She's been taking clases
part-time while working.  Now she'll be a full-time student starting
next week.

I've been providing long-range tech support since she switched to Linux.
Hopefully the latex processing flow is easy to package up into a shell
script or Makefile.  I've installed everything with latex or lyx in the
package name.

So she'll need to master latex commands and I'll assist with the
processing flow as necessary.

I see that Maple and Mathematica are available for Linux, so either of
those could be an option.

> One
> can find document styles that match professional publications if that is
> desired.  There is a learning curve, of course, but the quality of the
> typesetting is unparalleled.  For the content, you are on your own. :)

I expect she'll manage the content OK.  She does try to avoid futzing
with her computer - that gets handed off to Dad.

Lloyd Kvam
Venix Corp.
1 Court Street, Suite 378
Lebanon, NH 03766-1358