Ben Scott wrote:

>   We've got an HP LaserJet 3380 All-In-One with a JetDirect card.  It
> does have "network scan" functionality.  The problem is, to trigger
> the scan, you have to use a web UI.  Which means a computer.  Which
> means the user has to walk to the unit, load their originals, walk
> back to their computer, start the scan, and walk back again to pick up
> the originals.  And hope it didn't jam, or that someone else didn't
> move them in the meantime.

Ah, you're right. I didn't appreciate that some people work in an office
where everything isn't within reach.

> Contrast this
> with our Konica P/S/C units, on which you just hit a couple front
> panel buttons, and it uploads the results to a network folder (via
> FTP).  (They also support email.)  Of course, they cost over $4K each.
>
>   Thanks anyway, though.  :)

Glad I could provide the right answer to wrong question ;)

Someone asked the question on SlashDot last year
(http://ask.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/03/13/2043236) and got a
batch of annoying answers. There may be a clue in the pile, though: a
mention of scanadf, part of SANE:

http://www.martoneconsulting.com/sane-scanadf.html

I note the OfficeJet has a "Scan To" button which, when pushed,
helpfully points out that some software has to be running remotely to
support it. In Winders, it will office a Fax-to-Email, Fax-to-File,
Fax-To-PDF or some such combination. With HP being so helpful with their
HPOJ and HPLIJ projects, I wonder if they've published that protocol
somewhere. Mighty strong Google-foo is needed to find the right page
about "HP Scan-To"...

--
Ted Roche
Ted Roche & Associates, LLC