Hi all,

  Off-topic but still techie question: Does anyone know anything about
charging the batteries from a UPS using external equipment (i.e., not
the charger built-in to the UPS)?

  I've got an APC Smart-UPS 3000 (P/N SU3000RM3U) which I picked up
for free (someone was getting rid of it).  It looks like it's in good
condition, but it won't start[1].  I've checked the voltage on the
battery, and it's less than 2 volts DC.  An aggravating quirk with
most APC UPSes is that they won't start[2] if the battery is
disconnected or dead[3].

  Now, I don't want to have to spend $350 on a replacement battery
only to find out that it's the UPS itself that's shot.  I'm thinking
if I can find some way to charge up the battery to minimum levels, I
can at least test the UPS to see if it works.  It doesn't have to hold
a load.

  The battery consists of eight smaller units, wired together.  The
wiring is easily disconnected.  Each unit is labeled "12 V, 7.2
Ah/20HR".  Anyone if I can just hook each unit up to a regular
automotive battery charger (one at a time) and charge them that way?

[1] No lights, no beeps, no clicks, no fans, no output, minuscule
power draw (0.04 A AC).
[2] This is supposedly by design.  They give reasons[4], although I'm
not sure I believe them.  Supposedly, the latest APC models can start
without a battery, but that doesn't help me.
[3] Dead being defined as less than some acceptable voltage, which 2 V DC is.
[4] Severe discharge typically also means the battery will not hold a
load to spec, so it's an indication the battery is no good; no point
in a UPS without a battery; loose battery connector indication; what
if the customer is stupid and didn't connect the battery.

-- Ben