Ben -

I've almost never seen an APC  Smart-UPS that was
actually defective.  I'd certainly take a chance on
the batteries.

There's an outfit on Ebay that sells a privately
branded "ZEUS" SLA battery at a very reasonable price
(batteryman20). I've ordered many times had very good
luck with their batteries.  They have a RBC12 set of
batteries for $66.75 with $31.88 shipping.

If your batteries are down to 2v they will never take
enough of a charge to make the UPS trigger on (in my
experience).

Also one of the links in most APC supplies is a fuse.
I'm not sure about the 3000 - but it's true of the
1000 and 1500va units.  Make sure that it isn't open.

Good luck!

- Gary