Will if you're going to go into 3-letter tools that start with 'a'
that can do the requested task, then I'm just going to have to tell
everyone how to do it with awk

 awk '/^\*/ && !/^\*INDICATOR/ { print $0 }' file

awk takes a pattern and then a set of things to do with lines that
match that pattern. So my pattern says "line starts with '*' AND lines
does NOT start with '*INDICATOR'". Lines that match get processed by
the curly braces, which in this case prints out the entire line ($0 in
awk parlance)

-Shawn