>>> Bruce Dawson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 10/6/2007 9:04 AM >>>
> I think WebEx is based on proprietary technologies that might not fit
> in well with a Linux User Group or FOSS, but I wonder how feasible it is
> to do such a thing using FOSS. Does anyone have experience doing this?
> How feasible is it using "borrowed" bandwidth - wireless or wired - from
> the facilities (i.e., we have NAT'ted wired ethernet at ABI, but
> wireless at Martha's).
>
> Anyone with actual field experience to share?
>
> - recording live meetings
> - broadcasting live meetings
> - post-broadcasting ("podcasting") audio

Alternatives we've tried are:

    * Netmeeting - works as often as it doesn't and you can't really do
      anything else with your PC while its running.
    * Soft phones - spotty quality and the usual problems with running
      real-time software on Microsoft platforms (crashes, erratic
      behavior, clashes with other client-mandated software like firewalls).

--Bruce

----------

Just got back in the GNHLUG and this is interesting because I ran into this
issue back in June with WebEX while doing a webcast with RedHat.  WebEX is not
*NIX friendly so what they do is use http://www.elluminate.com/ .  Worked
pretty well.  Its basically a FOSS friendly version of WebEX.  Slide
presentation, voice, chat, etc...  Check it out as it might be a fit for your
cause.

Jeff

Jeff O'Brien
Systems Engineer