On Tuesday, Oct 9th 2007 at 16:04 -0000, quoth Mark E. Mallett:

=>On Tue, Oct 09, 2007 at 01:02:37PM -0400, Ben Scott wrote:
=>> On 10/8/07, Steven W. Orr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
=>> > if [[ blah1 && blah2 ]]
=>> > otherwise you'd have to say
=>> > if [ blah1 ]] && [ blah2 ]
=>> > which I'm hoping won't generate a different set of questions.
=>>
=>>   (I'm assuming, in the second example, the doubled
=>> right-square-bracket after "blah1" is a typo.)
=>>
=>>   Can't you just say
=>>
=>>     [ blah1 -a blah2 ]
=>>
=>> for the second one?  That's what I've always done.  I supposed,
=>> aesthetically, one might prefer the use of && over -a because it looks
=>> more like C or makes one think of "and" or whatever, but beauty is in
=>> the eye of the beholder and all that.
=>
=>Notes from the autoconf folks about shell portability make interesting
=>reading, if you lean that way.  I'm sure there are other guides, but I
=>think of this because configure scripts have lots of things that you
=>might scratch your head about.  Not all of which are explained by
=>the notes :)
=>
=>
http://www.gnu.org/software/autoconf/manual/autoconf-2.57/html_chapter/autoconf_10.html
=>
=>Oddly there is no mention of the '==' thing, possibly they didn't
=>consider that people used to 'test' syntax would use it.  They do say:
=>
=>    If you need to make multiple checks using test, combine them with
=>    the shell operators `&&' and `||' instead of using the test
=>    operators `-a' and `-o'. On System V, the precedence of `-a' and
=>    `-o' is wrong relative to the unary operators; consequently, POSIX
=>    does not specify them, so using them is nonportable. If you combine
=>    `&&' and `||' in the same statement, keep in mind that they have
=>    equal precedence.

And it's a good thing that the precedence is equal too.

if p
then
   something_true
else
   something_false
fi

is equal to

p && something_true || something_false

It's nice to use this construct when it doesn't go longer than an 80
column line.

steveo at syslang.net