mmmm an entire production VAX running VMS... 5.3?  5.6?  I forget, it was
before it was OpenVMS, and then the time came to upgrade.  This conversation
ensued with Digital tech support:

"OK, so what version are you upgrading from?"
"5.6"
"And what hardware are you running?"
"Foo bar v3"
"... let me call you back, I need to talk to the engineers..."

20 minutes later, they call back, with 2 engineers on the line, and proceed
to lead me through checking very thoroughly what hardware we have.
A long silence ensues when they're sure I'm not confused about that.
"... 5.6 won't run on that hardware."
"We've been running it for almost 3 years"
silence.
They put us on mute.
"Are you sure about that version number?"

We never did manage to upgrade that system (which ran everything important
on the whole cluster for about 40 engineers) just very very carefully
transitioned things off of it one at a time without making any changes.

--DTVZ