On 10/27/07, Lloyd Kvam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Barry rejected that patch because he felt it was too complex which is
> not a terribly good sign.

  According to the commentary I saw, it was rejected mostly because
they thought they were approaching release at the time.  IOW, feature
freeze.

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-developers/2003-April/015040.html

  I looked over the patch, and I think I understand the basic idea,
and it doesn't seem *that* complex.  Basically:

A1. Option flag and corresponding UI to let users make their choice
A2. System-wide and per-list options to control availability of A1
A3. Double each message, munging reply-to on one and not the other,
and route to recipients based on A1
A4. In A1, notice when a list becomes all mungers or all not-mungers
A5. Hook A3 into the mail processing pipeline, with a conditional based on A4
A6. Modify existing "munge entire list" feature to influenced by A4

  The devil's in the details, of course.

> How quickly do you want it completed?

  Our usual time frame for GNHLUG projects is "before the next ice
age", but you don't have to hold yourself to that kind of
high-pressure deadline.  ;-)

> Do you have any test platform/scenario in mind to avoid killing this list?

  Mailman hooks into the mail delivery pipeline by having the MTA
alias certain addresses to various scripts.  I think it should be
possible to have a separate installation of Mailman on liberty (our
server) for development/test purposes.  If you want an account, let me
know.

> I assume progress reports would b of interest to our pysig group.

  And this list, and likely the entire Mailman community!  :-)

-- Ben