Fourteen people made it to the March meeting of the Central New
Hampshire Linux User Group, held as usual on the first Monday of the
month at the New Hampshire Technical Institute's Library, Room 146, from
7 to 9 PM. Ed Lawson made a great presentation on Scribus the Open
Source desktop publishing package for Linux, OS X and Windows.

I started the meeting at 7 PM with the usual announcements about where
to find out more about the group, upcoming and related events. Ben Scott
was heckled as he offered copies of Fedora 8 DVD and LiveCD. Bruce
Dawson brought along an OLPC that was passed around and admired by many.
  A call for topics was put out: anyone with ideas for a topic they'd
like to see should contact me. Mark made a suggestion that he'd like to
have some discussion on an Exchange replacement - not one with all the
bells and whistles (shared calendars and folders, etc.), but just a mail
server and several folks had opinions about that. I'd like to know if we
have an "expert" in sound willing to give a presentation and sort out
the OSS, ALSA, esd, PulseAudio, I-don't-know-what acronyms that makes
setting up simple (or not so simple) sound -- and keeping the sound
working! -- such a frustrating experience. If others have ideas for
presentations, don't hesitate to speak up!

Ed presented a fine tour of Scribus (http://www.scribus.net/), starting
with a new install and configuring it for American ("imperial")
measurements rather than European/global ("metric") settings. He created
a blank document and showed how to use the story editor to add text and
create and apply styles to the document. We talked about styles local to
the document, kept in templates, and stored in stylesheets. We talked
about some of the common issues with creating a layout, and looked
through the included help file/ manual and the online wiki
(http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Main_Page -- MediaWiki, btw) for some
information on linking textboxes together for automated flow, and found
there was an icon on the toolbar, of two textboxes with an arrow between
them -- who would have guessed?

Ed showed off a newspaper template for the Southern Maine Sea Kayaking
Network, replacing an earlier attempt by another member to create a
consistently-styled document in Word. He talked about the ability to
generate PDFs, and specifically online PDF forms: forms that can be
filled out on a web server to submit the data to the server, while
maintaining the appearance of a PDF. He emphasized the Scribus was
intended for publishing not only with local laser printers, but
producing the high-end files that could be sent out to industrial
printers, with all the features of CMYK separations and other features
the high-end (4000 dpi+) printers could support. He cautioned that fonts
that might look good on a 100dpi LCD display could turn out to be
unsatisfactory for high-end printing, and that you'd want to do some
research and preparation to ensure you were producing a high-resolution
document (another example was that photos are much better in TIFF than a
lossy format like JPG).

Several people had questions or comments or observations (import from
OpenOffice.org documents seems supported; there's a close relationship
between OO.o, Inkscape and Scribus that make them a good toolset,
questions on Postscript, "can you do this?" questions) that made this
the most well-attended and interesting presentation so far this year.

Thanks to Ed for his well-prepared presentation and for providing the
projector, and thanks to the New Hampshire Technical Institute for
providing the facilities.

Next month, we hope to be able to twist someone's arm to present
InkScape; stay tuned.